Everyone loves New York. However, no one loves the cost of living in New York. The New York Daily News recently reported that New York City has the highest cost of living for families. Unfortunately, with the way the economy has been, this cost is not expected to drop anytime soon. However, this does not mean you should avoid living in New York. Instead, look for ways to make living in NYC more affordable. Here are 5 tips to help you afford your NYC home.
1. Shop around for the deal. Figure out your budget and then shop around for the best deal within your budget. Also, consider your needs. Are you looking for a home for your family or are you planning to just live by yourself? If you’re not going to be moving with a family then you may want to consider living with one or more roommates that can help you split the cost.
2. Purchase cheap furniture. Once you purchase an apartment or a house you will need some furniture for it. Instead of heckling your friends and family for their worn out or unwanted furniture, opt to purchase from cheap furniture stores in NYC instead. You’ll get comfortable, high-quality furniture that is highly affordable and will look nice in your home.
3. Avoid eating out. NYC is notorious for its overpriced restaurants. However, you don’t have to eat it. Try to avoid eating out frequently. Once in a while for a treat is one thing, but you should purchase the majority of your food from grocery stores and cook for yourself in order to save money. You should also look into purchasing food in bulk for an even better deal. You will be healthier and save a lot more money in the long run when you cook your own meals.
4. Look for free entertainment. There’s a reason why NYC is known as “the city that never sleeps”. There’s always something fun going on! However, not all of the fun has to cost money. There are many fun things you can do for free such as enjoying a day in central park or visiting one of the famous museums. Don’t forget, you can always invite friends over for a fun and free night in, too!
5. Reconsider your transportation. Many people in NYC don’t own cars. By not owning a car you won’t have to worry about paying for gas and other auto expenses. However, if you take a taxi all the time the expenses will still add up. Try to limit your use of a cab unless it is absolutely necessary. Purchase a pass for the subway to help you save money or better yet, by a bike or walk as often as you can. Walking and biking are not only free, but great exercise too!
With these five tips living in NYC will be much more affordable and will make living there more enjoyable.